INDEX   HISTORY   MEMBERS   PRESENTATIONS   REPERTORY   PICTURES   MIDIS   SCORES IN ENCORE
RECRUITMENTS   DISCOGRAPHY   TRAJECTORY OF THE DIRECTOR   OUR LOGO   CHORAL SOMISA IN SOUNDCLOUD
SPONSORS   OUR SONGS IN YOUTUBE   CHORAL POLL   STATS   CREOLE MASS   OUR CITY   PICTURES OF THE SANCTUARY HOUSE OF AGREEMENT   MUNICIPAL THEATER OF SAN NICOLÁS   LANDSCAPES AND WALKS OF SN
ECOPARK SN   SOMISA NEIGHBORHOOD   CHRISTMAS IN SOMISA   INFO   LINKS   SITE MAP   IN MEMORIAM
THANKFULLNESS...   GUESTBOOK





Map of the location of San Nicolás de los Arroyos
(Click to enlarge)

  The city of San Nicolás de los Arroyos is located at:
  61 Km. from Rosario
  240 Km. from Capital Federal
  242 Km. from Santa Fe
  331 Km. from La Plata
  476 Km. from Córdoba

  It is the northern most city of the Province of Buenos Aires, limits with the southern Province of Santa Fe by the Arroyo del Medio, with the Province of Entre Ríos by the Río Paraná, and with the party of Ramallo by the Arroyo Ramallo. The city has an area of about 11 Km. from north to south and 6 Km. from east to west and from Route 9 to the border with the party of Pergamino, extends throughout the match from San Nicolás de los Arroyos, a lenght of 11 Km. from north to south and 36 Km. from east to west, comprising the towns of:
  -Campos Salles.
  -Villa Esperanza.
  -General Rojo.
  -Erézcano.
  -Conesa. (This latter, limits with the party of Pergamino).
  Farther north is the town of La Emilia.
  San Nicolás de los Arroyos was founded by Don Raphael of Aguiar in April 14th, 1748 (official date), although its existence has been older, because in 1744 a census gave a population of almost 1000 inhabitants.
  The name of the Party and the City meets Aguiar´s devotion to St. Nicholas, the Saint of Bari, and the geographic seat: the primitive "Land of Streams", name generated by the various rivers that crossed the land, which still prevalent today.
  The historical origins of the party date back to 1608, when Hernando Arias de Saavedra orders create a town in this region, known as the two Sisters, located to "52 leagues from Buenos Aires", which belonged to our jurisdiction, currently in the party of Ramallo. The Cabildo of Buenos Aires approved the initiative of "Hernandarias" in September 1st, 1608, when it is the initial formation of our party.
  With the exception of Buenos Aires, for several decades, was the only city of the Province of Buenos Aires. On December 6th, 1821, the people and their authorities celebrate the adoption of the Patron Saint, San Nicolás de Bari. The final breakup of our territory was in 1864, when the party of Ramallo was created (before had been for part of Pergamino and San Pedro). The new limits were set by decree on February 24th, 1865.
  San Nicolás made the first great contribution to the independent homeland in September 28th, 1810, contributing with 357 volunteers for the expeditionary army to the Paraguay that, to the command of Manuel Belgrano, was organized in this city.
  The hero, commissioned by the first meeting of Fatherland Government, had as mission diffuse the ideals of the pro-men of the revolution. Months later, in March 2nd, 1811, take place in the waters of our river the first Argentinean naval combat, with the realistic squad, being operated of this way the baptism of fire of our War Navy.

  The later internal fights, in those that San Nicolás was author, his renown and prestige increased. Between 1815 and 1820 it is constituted in frontier city and general barrack of the forces of Buenos Aires.
  For these actions it was recognized and declared City for the Constituent General Congress, gathered in Buenos Aires, on November 23rd, 1819.
  On December 6th, 1821, by popular vote, San Nicolás de Bari is declared Patron of the City, being completed this way, officially, with the desires and initiative of Aguiar in 1748.
  In the economic face stands out, in the time, the qualification of the Commercial Port in 1823, and later on, in 1852, being executed by another decree of the following year, is declared greater port of transit, with deposit enabled for the external trade.
  The meeting of the Argentinean governors summoned by the General Urquiza, after of Caseros, gives for result the signature of the famous document well-known in the Argentinean history like "Agreement of San Nicolás", act that took place on May 31st, 1852.
  Two years later, on March 12nd, 1854, are constituted the municipality, rearranging the local public administration exercised from 1822 by the Judges of Peace. It was formed with a Municipal commission presided by Don Teodoro Fernández. It begins then an important build stage: a Commission of Solares makes the delineation of the urban ejido; the first nomenclature of the streets is given and they are carried out works of building improvements.
  In February 1865, 24th, the Party is dismembered, when lands are given between the Stream of the Sisters and the Stream of Ramallo, for the creation of the Party of Ramallo.
  In 1857 appears here the first newspaper that is, at the same time, the first of the campaign of Buenos Aires: "The Commercial Magazine" and, in 1872, the first newspaper (which was also the first of the province), that was titled "The Progress."
  Other important events in the development of the progress of the city are:
  -On December 1st, 1863, is inaugurated the branch of the Bank of the Province of Buenos Aires.
  -On February 3rd, 1875, the tribunals of Justice are installed with the creation of the camera of appeals and attaché of a Tribunal of first Instance in the civil and Commercial.
  -On January 20, 1876, the School Congress is installed.
  -On March 24th officially begins her classes the "San Nicolas de los Arroyos College", run by the Salesian Fathers.
  -In 1882 the first Argentinean and South American refrigerator is founded, by Eugenio Terrasón, "The Elisa", from which was sent for the first time, frozen Argentinean meat to Europe.
  -On February 3rd, 1884, the Rail line to Pergamino is enabled. Of the same year are the ex former rail stations of Conesa and General Rojo, enabled to the public service on February 3rd, dates taken as of foundation of both towns of the party.
  -Two years later, in February 1st, 1886, are also inaugurated the Rail line that unites Buenos Aires with Rosario.
  -On June 22nd of same year the first Deliberative Town council is built, with the denomination Deliberative Department. Also, from that year the Municipal Executive Department works in which a person serves, with Intendant's position. The first person in exercising that position, was Juan Manuel Argerich.
  And the events continue:
  -Inauguration of the Mixed Normal School under the direction of the North American Teacher, Francisca Gertrudis Armstrong, later Mrs. Besler.
  -On March 11th, 1892, begin to work the branch of the Bank of the Nation Argentina; also they are founded the Industrial establishment "The Emilia", on October 2nd, and the day 22nd the Club of Yachts.
  Upon entering in the XX century the city has two important journalistic organs:
  -"The North of Buenos Aires", under the direction of Ramón Antonio Caravajal, and "The News", of which is director Dámaso Valdés. The first, in 1873, and the second, in 1896.
  Add, and give a base to a honorable trajectory, that counts to the present with more than 260 publications.
  -In 1905 the current Municipal Palace is inaugurated, and the following year the house of justice is inaugurated (Tribunals).
  -Two years later, on August 10, 1908, was inaugurated the Municipal Theater, a jewel of our architecture, considered then the best Lyrical Theater of the interior of the country.
  -In 1915 the current Military Barracks is inaugurated, occupying it the 5º Regiment of Infantry of Line, until 1923, when they came the sappers Pontoneros, today Battalion of Engineers 101.
  -In 1919 was founded the Public Assistance "Dr. Carlos Ferreyra".
  -In 1924 the National School of Arts and Occupations, today E.N.E.T. Nº1.
  -On January 1st, 1926, appears the newspaper "The North", founded by Dr. Miguel Olivera Córdoba.
  -On October 16th, 1937, was inaugurated the Museum and Library of the house of Agreement, directed by the commission that was presided over by Enrique Udaondo.
  -In 1947 was founded the popular library "Raphael of Aguiar", solving its founders give like official date the April 14th, 1948.
  -Also in 1947 was founded the Traditionalist Center "José Hernández", with the presidency of the professor Alberto Varela.
 
-On October 29th, 1955, was enabled the Bishopric of the Diocese of San Nicolás de los Arroyos, being its first Bishop, Monsignor Dr. Silvino Martínez.
  -On October 20, 1957, was officially inaugurated the "Central Thermoelectric San Nicolás."
  -On April 14th, 1964, the today Regional Faculty San Nicolás.
  -And in April 14th, 1969, was created the Museum and Municipal Historical File "First Argentinean Naval Combat", which was inaugurated officially in the current building, on July 18th, 1971.



Exchange of scores:  jasmusic76@hotmail.com
Consultations and opinions:  nico6_6@hotmail.com